Apple Orange Cranberry Crisp
This apple orange cranberry crisp would be the perfect addition to your Thanksgiving or other holiday dessert table. Packed with fruit, spicy cinnamon flavor, and a delightful texture, it’s sure to be a family favorite! Easily made gluten free.
- 5 large apples peeled, cored and chopped (use a variety, like Granny Smith, Golden Delicious, Pink Lady and Fuji)
- zest of 2 oranges divided
- 2 tsp fresh orange juice
- 1 cup fresh cranberries
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon divided
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 3/4 cup gluten free 1 to 1 baking flour or substitute all-purpose flour for gluten-full crisp
- 3/4 cup gluten free old-fashioned oats or substitute gluten-full oats
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter cold and diced into cubes
- 1/4 tsp salt
Peel and core the apples, and chop them into small chunks. Place the apple chunks into a large bowl. Mix in the fresh orange juice, nutmeg, granulated sugar, cranberries, 1 tsp of cinnamon and the zest of one orange. Pour the apple mixture into a 9 x 13 baking dish.
Preheat the oven to 350° F (176°C).
In a separate bowl, combine the flour, oats, brown sugar, salt, the remaining cinnamon and the zest of another orange. Drop in the cubed butter, and then use a pastry blender or fork to cut the butter into the flour mixture. The butter will meld the dry ingredients together into a crumbly mixture. Spread evenly on top of the apple layer.
Bake for 40 to 50 minutes, until the top is golden brown and the juices are bubbling. Let cool slightly before serving.
Best enjoyed warm with a scoop of salted caramel or vanilla ice cream.