Warm and cozy fruits, a hint of spice, and a little crunch. That’s what you’ll get with every mouthful of this apple orange cranberry crisp. The sweetness of the orange and apples pairs beautifully with the tartness of the cranberries. The brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg balance out the flavors, and the oats give the crisp its texture. Add a scoop of salted caramel or vanilla ice cream and you’ll think you’re in heaven.
Note: I originally created this recipe for Microplane, who kindly sent me the zester and apple corer to use. They also compensated me for my time.
The most time-consuming step of this recipe is peeling, coring and chopping the apples. But peeling and coring goes much faster using quality equipment. I tried the Microplane corer and peeler and loved how easy it is to use.
I also recommend using a variety of apples to enhance the flavor, like Granny Smith, Golden Delicious and Pink Lady.
You’ll need the zest of two oranges. Keep the zest separate, because the zest from one will go in the fruit mixture and the zest from the other will go in the crumb topping.
Spread the fruit mixture evenly in a ceramic or glass 9 x 13 baking dish.
Now prepare the crumb topping. You’ll need a pastry blender or fork to cut the butter into the flour mixture. The butter will meld the dry ingredients into a crumble that can then be sprinkled on top of the fruit.
Bake for 40 to 50 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and the juices are bubbling. Don’t be afraid to let it bake the full 50 minutes, but start keeping an eye on it at the 40-minute mark.
Let the crisp cool slightly before serving. If you can’t serve it straight out of the oven, then warm up servings in the microwave. And don’t forget the scoop of ice cream!
Tag me @rosesandwhiskers on Instagram if you try this apple orange cranberry crisp and use the hashtag #rosesandwhiskers. Happy baking! 🙂
Apple Orange Cranberry Crisp
- Microplane apple corer and peeler
- Microplane zester
- 9 x 13 baking dish
- pastry blender
- 5 large apples peeled, cored and chopped (use a variety, like Granny Smith, Golden Delicious, Pink Lady and Fuji)
- zest of 2 oranges divided
- 2 tsp fresh orange juice
- 1 cup fresh cranberries
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon divided
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 3/4 cup gluten free 1 to 1 baking flour or substitute all-purpose flour for gluten-full crisp
- 3/4 cup gluten free old-fashioned oats or substitute gluten-full oats
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter cold and diced into cubes
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Peel and core the apples, and chop them into small chunks. Place the apple chunks into a large bowl. Mix in the fresh orange juice, nutmeg, granulated sugar, cranberries, 1 tsp of cinnamon and the zest of one orange. Pour the apple mixture into a 9 x 13 baking dish.
- Preheat the oven to 350° F (176°C).
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, oats, brown sugar, salt, the remaining cinnamon and the zest of another orange. Drop in the cubed butter, and then use a pastry blender or fork to cut the butter into the flour mixture. The butter will meld the dry ingredients together into a crumbly mixture. Spread evenly on top of the apple layer.
- Bake for 40 to 50 minutes, until the top is golden brown and the juices are bubbling. Let cool slightly before serving.
- Best enjoyed warm with a scoop of salted caramel or vanilla ice cream.