Nothing tastes better to me than a freshly baked chocolate chip cookie, especially one that is soft, chewy and perfectly sweet. It’s a shame that eating an entire freshly baked batch is out of the question! But luckily these cookies are still amazing at room temperature. If you’re looking for a chocolate chip cookie recipe, then look no further. I’m positive these will become a new family favorite!
The secret to this recipe is adding instant vanilla pudding mix. If you’re gluten intolerant like I am, be sure and check the label. I know that Jello brand doesn’t contain any gluten-full ingredients, but I’m not sure about other varieties! (However, other Jello flavors might contain gluten, so always check the label. The vanilla flavor doesn’t specifically say it’s gluten free but the listed ingredients are safe.)
An optional ingredient that I always add is 1 teaspoon of dark chocolate balsamic vinegar. I love the way that it enhances the flavor. I buy it from a local store in Charlotte called Pour Olive, but you can explore local options near you or buy it on Amazon. If you’re looking for a good gluten free flour, this is the one I recommend.
Also feel free to customize the chocolate chips! My favorite combination is 1 cup of milk chocolate chips and 1 cup of dark chocolate chips. But you can use semi-sweet, bittersweet or whatever fun varieties you come across in the grocery store.
This cookie recipe doesn’t require any chilling, which means your cookies will be ready that much sooner! Once the dough is ready, scoop rounded tablespoonfuls of dough onto the prepared baking sheets, no more than 12 cookies per pan. You can either use an actual tablespoon or a medium cookie scoop. Make sure the pans are lined with silicone baking sheets or parchment paper. I don’t recommend using cooking spray.
Bake them for 8 to 10 minutes, or until the edges are lightly browned. Let them rest on the pan for 5 minutes before removing them to a wire cooling rack. The tops might still be a bit soft, but the cookies will firm up while they rest on the pan.
Tag me @rosesandwhiskers on Instagram if you try this recipe and use the hashtag #rosesandwhiskers. You might also enjoy my recipe for chocolate chip cookie cupcakes! Happy baking. 🙂
Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 2 1/4 cups gluten free 1 to 1 baking flour or substitute all-purpose flour for gluten-full cookies
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup unsalted butter softened to room temperature
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3.4 oz. instant vanilla pudding mix
- 2 large eggs + 1 egg yolk room temperature
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp dark chocolate balsamic vinegar optional
- 2 cups chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (176°C) and line baking sheets with silicone mats or parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour and baking soda.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugars until light and fluffy, and then cream in the instant pudding mix. Beat in the eggs and yolk one at a time, making sure each is incorporated into the batter. Mix in the vanilla extract and balsamic vinegar.
- Mix in half of the flour at a time on low speed, until just combined. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Scoop rounded tablespoonfuls of dough onto the prepared baking sheets, no more than 12 cookies per pan. Bake for 8-10 minutes, or until lightly browned around the edges. Let the cookies rest on the pan for 5 minutes before removing to a wire cooling rack.
- Store in an airtight container. Enjoy!