Months ago, I started testing a bakery-style chocolate chunk cookie recipe. The taste was there, but no matter what I tried, I couldn’t get the baking temperature and time exactly how I wanted them. And now I know why. My original recipe idea morphed from a cookie into a bar, and I couldn’t be happier with the result! I know you’ll appreciate these, too. After all, who doesn’t love a thick, soft, chewy cookie bar loaded with chunks of chocolate?
These are super easy to make. But they also use an “unusual” ingredient you’re less likely to have in your kitchen pantry: butter extract. Do yourself a favor, and don’t leave this out! As you might expect, it adds a little extra butteriness to the bars, which you’ll love.
And of course, these can be made with or without gluten. 🙂 This is my favorite gluten free flour.
Note: I earn a small commission every time you make a purchase through an affiliate link. But there’s no extra cost to you! Thank you for supporting Roses & Whiskers.
Please remember that oven temperatures vary, and that’s it’s likely your bars will need more or less baking time. To gauge doneness, look for an even golden brown color and light cracking on the top crust. The bars should not be wet, doughy or overly soft to the touch. It’s also very important that you let them cool COMPLETELY in the pan. This will help the middle bake all the way through. But if you like them a little underdone, I won’t judge. In fact, I’ll join you in gobbling them up!
These chocolate chunk bars are perfect for a summer picnic or a quick snack by the pool. Let me know in the comments what you think, and please tag me @rosesandwhiskers on Instagram if you try them.
Happy baking! 🙂
Chocolate Chunk Bars
- 3 cups gluten free 1 to 1 baking flour or substitute all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 cup unsalted butter softened to room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs + 1 egg yolk room temperature
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp butter extract
- 2 1/2 cups chocolate chunks
- Lightly spray a 9 x 13 pan with cooking spray and line with parchment paper. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt and nutmeg.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs and yolk until fully incorporated. Then, mix in the extracts.
- Stir half of the flour mixture into the butter mixture on low speed until just combined. Repeat with the remaining flour. Fold in the chocolate chunks.
- Spread the dough evenly into the prepared pan. Bake for 35 minutes, until the top is golden brown all over.
- Let the bars cool completely in the pan, for about 2 hours. Then lift them out of the pan using the edge of the parchment paper. Cut into 12 bars using a serrated knife.
- Store the bars in an airtight container. These are best if eaten within a few days, but they also freeze well. Enjoy!