I first made these peach gingerbread muffins as part of a “Christmas in July” Instagram collaboration. The muffins combine traditional Christmas flavors with my favorite summer fruit. I love how the spiciness of the gingerbread perfectly complements the sweetness of the peach. As soon as I tasted them I knew I had to share the recipe with you!
The recipe is based on my chocolate gingerbread muffins. The main difference is there’s no chocolate in the peach gingerbread muffins, and I swapped the eggnog for whole milk.
Be sure and melt the butter when you’re bringing the other ingredients to room temperature so that it has time to cool.
When you mix the applesauce, melted butter, sugar, molasses and vanilla, and beat in the egg, the mixture will look a little grainy. But don’t worry about that. The batter will come together nicely once you blend in the flour mixture and milk.
Fold the chopped peaches into the batter using a spatula. (I recommend using freestone peaches, which are juicier and more flavorful than clings.) Fill the prepared muffin cups 3/4 full of batter.
Bake the muffins for 15-18 minutes. Keep in mind that oven temperatures vary. Your muffins may need more or less time! You might also need to rotate the pan while baking if your oven doesn’t heat evenly.
Quick sidenote: My husband and I recently bought our first home. It’s new construction, so we got to pick out a lot of fun features, including a double convection oven! Our current oven runs hot and doesn’t bake evenly at all. It’ll be wonderful having TWO brand new ovens!
These muffins taste best the day they’re baked, but they will stay fresh in the refrigerator (in an airtight container) for a few days. After that I recommend storing them in the freezer.
These peach gingerbread muffins are the perfect transitional treat from summer to fall. Tag me @roseandwhiskers on Instagram if you try the recipe and use the hashtag #rosesandwhiskers. Happy baking! 🙂
Peach Gingerbread Muffins
- 2 1/4 cups gluten free 1 to 1 baking flour for gluten-full, substitute all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1/4 tsp cloves
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 10 tbsp unsalted butter melted and cooled to room temperature
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 large egg room temperature
- 1/2 cup whole milk room temperature
- 1 cup peaches chopped
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C) and line muffin pans with wrappers or grease with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and cloves.
- In a large bowl, mix the melted butter, brown sugar, molasses, applesauce and vanilla until combined. Beat in the egg on high speed until incorporated.
- On low speed, gradually mix in the flour mixture, alternating with the milk. Fold in the chopped peaches with a spatula. Spoon the batter into the muffin pans until each cup is 3/4 full. For more even baking fill empty cups 3/4 full of water.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Let the muffins rest in the pan for 3 minutes before removing to a wire cooling rack.
- Best enjoyed the day they're baked. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. After a few days move them to the freezer.