It seems like most kids grew up eating peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, at least the ones I knew. It’s what I ate almost every day for lunch in elementary school. PB&Js are still one of my go-to meals whenever I don’t feel like cooking or I just want a quick and easy sandwich.
If you love these classic flavors as much as I do then this recipe is for you. It tastes like a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, but in muffin form!
The most time-consuming part about this recipe is spooning the batter and jelly into the muffin cups. But even that doesn’t take very long. Pick your favorite jelly (mine is strawberry), and let’s start baking!
This recipe calls for creamy peanut butter, but you can substitute crunchy if that’s your preference. You can also substitute all-purpose flour to make these gluten-full. Once you gather the ingredients the batter comes together quickly. To assemble the muffins, spoon a small amount of batter into each greased muffin cup. Then add 2 teaspoons of jam or jelly.
Top with the remaining batter. The muffin wells will be almost completely full. Make sure the jelly is completely covered so that you don’t have any jelly explosions in the oven.
Bake them for 20 to 22 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of one of the center muffins comes out clean. There’s no need to poke each muffin!
Let them rest in the pan for 3 minutes before removing to a wire cooling rack. Store them in an airtight container at room temperature for a few days. If you still have some left then store them in the freezer.
These muffins are perfect for a quick breakfast or snack. They’d also be a great addition to your child’s lunch bag! Tag me @rosesandwhiskers on Instagram if you make them and use the hashtag #rosesandwhiskers.
Peanut Butter & Jelly Muffins
- 2 cups gluten free 1 to 1 baking flour or substitute all-purpose flour for gluten-full muffins
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sour cream room temperature
- 1 large egg room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup whole milk room temperature
- 24 tsp your favorite jam or jelly (2 tsp per muffin)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (176°C) and grease a muffin pan with cooking spray. Swirl a paper towel around the inside of each muffin cup to evenly distribute the grease and dab off any excess.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a large bowl, cream the peanut butter, sour cream and sugars until smooth and fluffy. Beat in the egg until incorporated, and then mix in the vanilla.
- Gradually mix in the flour mixture on low speed until just combined, alternating with the milk. Begin and end with additions of the flour mixture.
- Spoon a small amount of batter into each muffin cup, about 1/4 full. Top with 2 teaspoons of jam or jelly and then cover with the remaining batter. Each muffin cup should be almost full.
- Bake for 20 to 22 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a center muffin comes out clean. Let the muffins rest in the pan for 3 minutes before removing to a wire cooling rack. Store in an airtight container.