If cereal is a breakfast food, does that mean it’s okay to start off the day with one of these peanut butter chocolate Cheerio bars? (If your answer isn’t “yes,” then maybe rethink the question and try again!)
This recipe calls for chocolate Cheerios, which by themselves aren’t super chocolaty. But that’s actually perfect. The Cheerios complement the peanut butter bars, and no one flavor dominates the other. Topped with a chocolate brown sugar frosting and a colorful Sprinkle Pop mix. (Choose your own adventure with the sprinkles! I went with the “Cactus Flower” mix.)
The bars are both a little bit crunchy because of the Cheerios and a little bit chewy thanks to the marshmallow creme and peanut butter.
For a similar recipe that uses rice cereal instead of Cheerios, check out Grandma’s Peanut Butter Crisp Bars.
This is a no-bake recipe that comes together easily. But I do recommend measuring out the ingredients in advance. You need to work quickly once you take the sugar and corn syrup off the stove, before the bar mixture sets. The same goes for the frosting.
Speaking of the frosting, be sure to sift the powdered sugar and cocoa powder, otherwise it may be lumpy. Use a fine-meshed colander if you don’t have a sifter.
Note: This recipe includes affiliate links. I earn a little commission every time you make a purchase through a link, but there’s no extra cost to you. Thanks so much for supporting Roses & Whiskers!
Chill the bars in the refrigerator for at least one hour before cutting. Lift the bars out of the pan using the parchment paper and then cut them into 16 squares with a serrated knife. Store the bars in the refrigerator. Otherwise they’ll get a little sticky.
Tag me @rosesandwhiskers on Instagram if you try these peanut butter chocolate Cheerio bars and use the hashtag #rosesandwhiskers. Happy baking! 🙂
Chocolate Peanut Butter Cheerio Bars
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup marshmallow creme
- 2 cups chocolate Cheerios
Chocolate Brown Sugar Frosting Ingredients
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp packed light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tbsp milk
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cup powdered sugar sifted
- 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder sifted
- your favorite Sprinkle Pop mix optional
- Line an 8 x 8 pan with parchment paper, leaving a little overhang on all sides. Prep all of the ingredients in advance, including sifting the sugar and cocoa powder.
- Combine the sugar and corn syrup in a medium sauce pan and stir constantly over low heat until the sugar is dissolved. You'll know it's dissolved when the mixture is smooth and easy to stir and no longer feels grainy.
- Remove the sugar mixture from the heat and mix in the peanut butter and marshmallow creme.
- Then gently stir in the Cheerios. Press the "batter" evenly on the bottom of the prepared pan. Work quickly, before the bars begin to harden.
- In a small sauce pan, mix the butter and brown sugar until the butter is melted and the mixture is smooth.
- Remove the brown sugar mixture from the heat and stir in the vanilla and milk. Whisk in the powdered sugar and cocoa powder until smooth.
- Spread the frosting evenly across the top of the peanut butter mixture, and top with sprinkles. Again, work quickly, before the frosting sets.
- Chill in the refrigerator for at least one hour before cutting into bars. Tightly cover and store in the refrigerator. Enjoy!