I’ve wanted to develop a sugar free recipe for a while now, so I’m very excited to share these sugar free banana oatmeal muffins with you! The muffins are sweetened by honey, and they also have a little bit of vanilla extract and cinnamon. There’s plenty of flavor, and you won’t even miss the sugar! Just remember to use VERY ripe bananas (the peels should be browning and the bananas should be a little soft). You can also add in mini chocolate chips or chopped nuts.
Another great thing about this recipe is its simplicity. You don’t even need a mixer, just a whisk, spatula and two mixing bowls.
Start by whisking together the flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Use a gluten free 1 to 1 baking flour like this one or regular all-purpose flour.
Note: I earn a small commission every time you make a purchase through an affiliate link. But there’s no extra cost to you! Thank you for supporting Roses & Whiskers.
In a large bowl, whisk together the mashed bananas, oil, honey, eggs, buttermilk and vanilla. (First mash the bananas with the back of a spoon or fork. If the bananas don’t mash easily, they aren’t ripe enough.)
Fold in the flour mixture until just combined, and then stir in the oats and chocolate chips or nuts. Or go wild, and use a combination of both chips and nuts!
Fill each baking cup 3/4 full and bake the muffins for 16 to 18 minutes, until the tops are lightly browned and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean (or with a few crumbs).
Let the muffins rest in the pan for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool. Store them in an airtight container. The muffins also freeze well.
Tag me @roseandwhiskers on Instagram if you try these sugar free banana oatmeal muffins and use the hashtag #rosesandwhiskers. Happy baking! 🙂
Sugar Free Banana Oatmeal Muffins
- 2 cups gluten free 1 to 1 baking flour or substitute all-purpose flour for gluten-full muffins
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup packed mashed bananas about 2 large or 3 medium very ripe bananas
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 1/4 cup buttermilk room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup gluten free old-fashioned rolled oats or substitute gluten-full oats
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips (sugar free if desired) or substitute chopped nuts
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (176°C) and spray muffin pans with nonstick cooking spray. (Use a paper towel to evenly distribute the spray and wipe off excess grease.) This recipe yields about 14 muffins.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the mashed bananas (make sure to use VERY ripe bananas), oil, honey, eggs, buttermilk and vanilla. Fold in the flour mixture until just combined, and stir in the oats and chocolate chips (or nuts).
- Fill each muffin cup 3/4 full. Bake for 16 to 18 minutes, or until the tops are lightly browned and a toothpick comes out clean (or with a few crumbs). Leave the muffins in the pans for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container. These muffins also freeze well. Enjoy!